January 11, 2015

Magnitude 6 Earthquake Jolted Luzon

As I was writing this post, I'm awake for 20 hours now. I was watching youtube videos when suddenly I felt something, I thought I was already hallucinating. Haha. But when I fired up Google to really confirm before I post any status on Facebook, I realized it was an earthquake.

A magnitude 6 earthquake hit Luzon before dawn with state seismologists warning of possible aftershocks as per the  Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs). 

Tectonic in origin, this quake struck  at a depth of 85 kilometers.

Phivolcs said the following intensities were felt:   
Intensity IV (moderately strong) - Pasig City; Pasay City; Manila City; Quezon City; Hagonoy,
Bulacan; Makati City; San Mateo, Rizal; Obando, Bulacan
Intensity III (weak) - Tagaytay City; San Miguel, Tarlac
Intensity II (slightly felt) - Baguio City; Batangas City

Phivolcs said Intensity IV is "felt generally by people indoors and by some people outdoors. Light sleepers are awakened. Vibration is felt like a passing of heavy truck. Hanging objects swing considerably.Dinner, plates, glasses, windows and doors rattle. Floors and walls of wood framed buildings creak. Standing motor cars may rock slightly. Liquids in containers are slightly disturbed. Water in containers oscillate strongly. Rumbling sound may sometimes be heard."

As per tweeter update from Phivolcs, quake will not cause damage but is expected to produce aftershocks.

My own experience is that some of my books dropped, my glass of water beside me was really shaking. I was really frightened a while ago so I woke up my partner (since I'm the only one awake). But since she's still sleepy head, I didn't tell her the story yet.

Stay safe, everyone. Now I really need to sleep. :)

1 comments:

Mommy Maye said...

Whenever I heard about earthquake, I got goosebumps. I will never forget how the 1990 earthquake had jolted Central Luzon. It almost crushed the epicenter and that experience makes me panic even with just a slight shake of the land.

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you...

Template by:

Free Blog Templates